Where to begin? I have no idea how to describe Rome. It is very overwhelming. I want to go out and see everything, but there is so much it's hard to know where to start. Our hotel is on a main busy street of downtown Rome, much different than I expected. For some reason I pictured something a little more quiet and not as central. The campus, which includes classrooms, offices, a chapel, and library, is about 2 minutes from the hotel. Then another 2 minutes from there is the Pantheon. I wish I could capture the beauty and profoundness of the Pantheon, the Trevi Fountain, the Vatican, and everything here, but it cannot be captured in pictures or even words. Last night was probably one of the best nights I have had in Italy so far, and it really began to set in that I am living in Rome. It is the most amazing feel in the world to realize that you are living in one of the most ancient and greatest cities in the world. My friend Caroline Arness (another Cathedral grad) accompanied me to meet with Father Casey, Father Pat Biedelman, and a group of St. John's parishoners last night. They have been in Italy for almost a week, and we were finally able to spend some time with them on their last night here. They treated us to a delicious glass of white wine in a fancy hotel, and we sat and chatted with them for a while. Everyone was so welcoming, friendly, and so fun to be around. Also, we made a great connection with Father Pat because he is currently living in Rome. He offered us tickets to the Scavi tour in the Vatican, which includes seeing the bones of St. Peter, on October 18. Usually you have to book this tour almost a year in advance! Hopefully we will be able to make it! After Father Casey insisted on getting us a taxi back to our Hotel, Caroline and I enjoyed some delicious chocolate gelato while sitting on the steps of the fountain right in front of the Pantheon. Can it get any better than this?? Well, yes, because we are going as a group to tour the Roman Forum, Palatine Hill, and the Colosseum on Saturday and then attending the Papal Mass and Angelus on Sunday. I have to get going on some reading for classes (yes, those things that interfere with exploring Rome). Thank you so much for reading my blog! I hope all is well back in the States!
Love always,
Anne

3 comments:
Anne:
I look at your Blog every day and can't wait for your next entry. How fun it is to read your wonderful descriptions of what you are seeing, thinking and feeling. It is such a tremendous opportunity for you to learn more about the world we live in and appreciate the history and romance of Italy. Thank you for sharing your educational adventure with us! Take good care of our Annie and have fun (which you seem to be doing quite well)!
Love,
Jim
Anne:
What a great thing this blogging business. Man, the picture of you, Father Noah and Jeni makes us wish were were there. We are so excited for you and look forward to hearing about more of your adventures from Roma. The reading thus far has been so informative - thank you for taking time out to share with us back in Southport.
Our prayers are with you -
Love, T & L
Anne-
We love your blog and look forward to the next entry. You are experiencing so much and we are so excited for you. Let us know about the Vatican on Sunday! Keep us in your prayers especially when we are raking leaves in a couple weeks!!
Love, Dad
Post a Comment