Well, it's down to my final days in Rome. I am really going to miss everything about living here, but most of all the people. A few of my closest friends here are staying the year so I won't see them at Saint Mary's until next fall. The other people I'm going to miss are the seminaries, deacons, priests, and sisters that have worked with us throughout the semester. They led a group called "God Squad" that helped explain different parts of our faith. Last night was our last meeting, and all of us are so sad to leave them. They have taught us so much about our faith and God's great love for us, there is no way to thank them enough. Even though I have finals Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday, I have managed to get some fun in this week so far. Monday was a national holiday in Rome...Mary Smith's birthday of course! Haha it should have been for that, but it was really for the Immaculate Conception. There is a big ceremony where Pope Benedict blesses a wreath and then it is placed on a statue of Mary near the Spanish Steps. There were at least a thousand people in the area so we really couldn't see much, but at the last minute my friend lifted me up and I saw Pope Benedict XVI!! And then today we had tickets to the Papal Audience. He was really close today, and when they announced groups present from English-speaking countries, they announced Saint Mary's College! So we stood up and clapped and he waved to us. It gave me chills to have the pope looking at us and waving to us...it's one thing to see him at the Angelus blessing you, but to have something more personal was such a wonderful feeling. He blessed us and our families so know that you are taken care of by Pope Benedict. Since I have received a request from Mac to put up a picture, I have added this one of my friend Jillian and I outside of the Basilica of St. Paul's Outside the Walls. This is one of my favorite basilicas in Rome....it holds St. Paul's sarcophagus and the cross that spoke to St. Bridget. The courtyard outside was also beautiful, which is where we are.
I leave for Austria on Dec. 19th and return on the 26th, but hopefully I will post before then!
Love you all,
Anne

4 comments:
I can't believe your trip is almost over, Anne! Thanks for sharing your comments and pictures. I know this is something you will remember forever. Hope to see you soon!
Anne, Beautiful photo!
Can't wait to see you again. You have seen and learned so much, It's a once in a lifetime blessing, of course you are the one who made yourself available to all of the offerings. God bless you.Have a great time in Austria.
Love you grandissimo(psuedo Italian)
Mac
Anne-
Very neat picture and your comments are very inspirational. This truly has been a great experience for you and for all of us. Thank you for sharing so much. This trip is not only informative but life changing. It is hard to believe that my little girl has grown up so much. We miss you but we will see you soon. Love, Dad
Anne:
What a great adventure you have had. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and wonderful photos. It seems to me from afar like the time has flown by, so for you it must have seemed like warp speed. I'm just guessing from the Bridget that I know who is my daughter, and the Bridget who was my grandmother, when the cross spoke to St. Bridget she had something to say in reply.
Have a beautiful rest of your journey and we will miss you for Christmas.
Love,
Jim
Post a Comment